Sunday, August 3, 2008

Gerald wins Juniper Charity Golf and a hole-in-one!


On Friday, I shot 80 at Keppel Golf Club, scored 38 points based on System 36 and won the Juniper Networks Charity Golf on countback!

I was invited by Avaya to take part in this event on this hot and sunny afternoon. In my flight were Ramon of Citigroup, Jispal Singh of AIG and Fulvio of Avaya.

The famous Keppel Club terrain took a toll on us early. I struggled and did not manage a single par for the first 6 holes. But I know it does not matter as long as I don't shoot a triple bogey or more. All that matters were birdies!!!!

On the 7th hole, a downhill par 3, I was about 12 feets from the hole after the tee shot. I told myself I have to get the birdie. It was a slight uphill, right edge. Took a firm putt and sank it. It was to be the turning point of my game. From there, I had a run of 8 pars, 1 bogey and another birdie.

Figuring that I will need at least 3 birdies to win, I played aggressive on the last hole but unfortunately dumped the ball into the water. Nonetheless, I shot double bogey for that hole and I know it would not hurt me that much.

With 2 birdies and 38 points, I think my chance was pretty good for the top few prizes. And true enough I won, on count back.

The top prize was a set of latest Titleist AP-1 irons with a bag. Since this was a charity event in support of Special Olympics, I decided to auction the set off. I managed to raise $2200. Not bad eh? Maybe if it was AP-2, I might have kept it :).

And no..I was not the one with the hole-in-one. It was my good friend Darren Ng from Fujitsu (ex-scs). I was so happy for him. Too bad he did not win a car cos there was no sponsorship. Just a little trophy. But still, it was a great day for all of us.

No comments: