Monday, August 18, 2008

Golf in Davao


I was in Davao, Philippines for a work cum leisure trip from 13th to 17th Aug. Davao is in the island of Mindanao which is in the south, near the troubled area of Cotabato.

While there, I managed to put in 2 games, one at Palos Verdes Golf and Country Club and Apo Golf and Country Club.

About 45 min drive from the city, Palos Verdes is a very hilly and undulating course. Every fairway is uniquely designed. One of the par 3 is a 180 m hole with a steep ravine the right side. You need a carry of 180 if you are going for the green. The 9th hole reminds me of the last hole in Kapalua, Hawaii. Not that I have been there but I saw it many times in the Mercedes Open. You will require a tee shot of 210 m and the 2nd shot of about 170m across a cliff. Nice. Play +7, +3 from white which is not particularly satisfying. Top course in Davao, worth playing again.

Apo is slightly nearer to the City. It is a very flat but mature course with huge trees lining both sides of the fairway. The course is not scenic, very much a city course. Somehow did not like the water features lining the course cos they smelled of sewage. However, my umbrella girl Lovely made it more tolerable for me :). The greens were nice, fast and true. Played +5, +5 from white, somehow was a little distracted by Lovely!! Haha! The girls will make me go back to the course, not the course itself.

Guess which one is Lovely?

No comments: