Monday, August 25, 2008

Well done, Jiawei, Yuegu and Tianwei!


I thought I should devote some space to these three outstanding athletes in a sport that play another type of white ball that is similar to ours.

I managed the catch the final match of the team event semi-final. TianWei was fighting the fiesty Korean girl. And god, it was a hell of a match! I was really impressed by the tenacity of our girl, the strong will and desire to win for Singapore.

When the Korean missed her last shot, I screamed and cheered. We made it to the final and after 48 long years of wait, we got at least a silver medal. The match against China is a forgone conclusion, we don't stand a chance against this powerhouse.

I was really sad to hear a friend made a comment recently. He said, "I really hope they lose, they are all imports in the first place". Why should there be a differentiation?

Singapore has never shy away from the foreign talent approach in wanting the best resources for the country. Though the 3 of them were foreign born (indeed the whole team were foreign by birth), we should really embrace them as part of our own. Our forefathers were also imigrants, didn't they contribute to nation building too?

We want the best talents to grow the economy, we should also do the same for sports.

Well done girls! Jiayou!

No comments: