Sunday, January 4, 2009

SCC SGA league trial

Was called up by the Sembawang CC SGA League Div A captain to go for the selection trial. He went through the handicap listing and shortlisted me.

Yesterday morning was the trial game. I was in the flight with 2 other 8 handicappers and the team captain, Yong.

I did not start very well on the back 9. Bogeyed and double-bogeyed the first 2 holes, but I birdied 12th to settle down a bit. From then onward it was more consistent. Took the turn at 5 over.

The front 9 was more decent with 3 bogies and all pars. I shot 79 (Par 71). Another guys also had a 79 and the 3rd one 86.

One thing that stood out very clearly in the game, I was the shortest hitter. These guys, esp the team captain, was bombing past me by 40m, probably averaging 250-260.

I had a good time chatting with Yong and he remarked that to play well in the league, distance is important, especially in clubs like Tanah Merah, SICC or Laguna Masters, Par-4s of 420m and 430m are not uncommon. I am averaging about 210-220 on my drive so it could be very tough for me.

He also said that in the league games, understanding rules is very important. The other competitors will be looking for infringements. Last year, one of the B Div SCC players was DQ-ed for using a non-conforming driver.

Yong will call for another game to have a look at all the players. Frankly, I am not so keen now. It is a completely different matter when you are playing for the club and when you play for yourself. Letting down the club is something I won't enjoy.

My game today was a complete reversal of New Year Day game at NSRCC, my putting was damn solid today, iron striking not so crisp.

This whole thing set me up with my new year resolution, ie. working on my swing change and increasing my driving distance.

Well, I started this last year.

No comments: