Saturday, January 24, 2009

"Lost ball for 10 seconds"

Today, 24th January 2009, I was with playing NSRCC Navy/Army course with the Koh Brothers, Robert & Peter with Albert Teo.

On the 6th hole in the Army course, both Robert's & mine tee shot landed in the bunker with about 110m to green. As the ball is lying nicely in the sand, I used a 9-iron. I thought to myself, I need the take the ball clean. Clean I did, but i pulled it towards the next tee box. Seeing that the front flight is within sight, I shouted "Fore". The ball landed nicely on the tee box without any knowledge form the front flight. They were waiting for the other flight to clear the green before moving to the tee box.

I went to the ball at the tee box and decided to fluff the shot to avoid the bunker between me the pin. Fluff, i did and the ball went towards a leaves portion of a young tree (about 10 ft) but did not come down. I remembered that we spoke of this ruling and Robert as usual came shouting " You cannot shake the sapling" Of course I know that! I was trying to peek upwards to catch a glimpse of my long loyal ball. For about 10 seconds or so, I could not see my ball, and I know Robert will penalise me with "Lost ball" rule. Then suddenly, a gush a wind came, and my ball dropped to the ground. We had a good laugh and for me, it was even more amazing as I have chatted to my golf kakis on this rule on many occasions.

Later in the evening while watching the Golf Channel, during "The Commercialbank Qatar Masters, a player had his sot stuck between the twigs of a scrub plant. He called for the offical and was awarded a free drop under a local rule. He eventually saved par for that hole.

Lesson learned, know your rules or your friendly opponent will take the opportunity to penalise you. Eventually, we had a good laugh at the 19th hole celebrating with 7 jars of the iced-cool beer. Our record was 8 jars. 

PS: I will post a picture which Peter took when I get it from him.

Cheers
Dick
 


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Correct me if I am wrong, I think the rules are:

1. If you can go up and still hit the ball, no penalty. If not, take a penalty for unplayable lie.

2. If the someone has seen the ball going into the tree and stuck on top, then it is also unplayable lie.

3. If it cannot be proven that the ball is in the tree, then it should be treated as "Lost Ball".