Saturday, October 4, 2008

From 4BBB to Saddam

I partnered Sam for the 4BBB (4-balls better ball) competition in which today was the qualifying round.

As usual, Sam, Hong Pew and Roy were so enthusiastic in wanting to Saddam me. At face value, I thought it was a bad deal, Hong Pew is now playing at 16. But for the fun of it, I took the challenge.

So the 4BBB competition kinda took a back seat to Saddam.

Straight away after the first 3 holes in Navy, I was already 3 down, eventhough I was only 1 over. Sam birdied the 2nd hole and Hong Pew birdied the 3rd. I sort of accepted my fate that Saddam will be killed. I even had a horrendous double par when I hit the roof of the Army halfway house (eventhough I was playing on Navy :))and the ball went OB.

Nonetheless, I just focussed on my game and narrow down to 2 down at crossover. My back 9 was more solid. Started off with par-par-birdie, to narrow down to 1-down. After the 6th hole, I was 2-down again. On the 7th hole, I teed into the bunker whereas Roy was already at the greenside putting for birdie. I hit out from the bunker to about 4 feet. Roy missed his birdie and I sank my par. I was still 2 down going to the last 2 holes.

I was regulation on at 8th green and Hong Pew hit his 3rd out from the bunker to about 6 feet. I made par and he bogeyed. So I was 1-down going to the last hole.

I teed-off into the hazard but luckily I found my ball in the thick vegetation. Sam was nicely on the fairway. I chopped my ball out with my 60 deg wedge to about 140m and put my ball on the green with my next shot. Sam hit his 2nd shot into the water and played his 4th to about 5 feet from the hole. I 2-putted for bogey but Sam missed his bogey putt. Phew!! Saddam survived the attack by United Nations!! I was never in the lead at all throughout the whole game!

For the 4BBB, me and Sam came in 5th overall with 62 and made it to the 2nd round. Roy and Hong Pew came in 30th with 69, they missed the cut.

Sam and I will be back tomorrow for the 2nd round which will be a matchplay format. Lets see whether we can make it to the 3rd round.

No comments: