Monday, September 29, 2008

Gerald wins the Sembawang Championship for B Division!!


Sorry, I could not blog as I was playing 36 holes, dinner and prize presentation, went to Robert and Peter's brother's wake (my condolence to both of you), then came back to watch the F1. Was damn tired and soon knocked out flat.

So here is the update.

Maintaining a lead of 7 strokes after Day 1, I started Day 2 with an early tee off at 7.17am. I was in the group of the 4 leading players. Started off very well, with some superb puttings, birdieing the very first hole. Played the front 9 at 3 over with one-putt at 4 holes.

However, 2nd 9 was a different story. My nightmare started with bogeying 10 and 11 and had a horrendous double par (4)on 12. Teed off into the bush, found the ball but could not get it out in my first attempt. Reverse chipped out on the 2nd. Made mess at this hole. Finished the back 9 at 11 over for a total of 86. If not for my strong front 9, my result would have been much worse.

My nearest competitor Teck Lee had a 83 and my lead was down to 4 strokes (167 vs 171). The other 2 players faded away and were no longer in contention.

Had a quick 15 minutes lunch at the terrace and soon teed off for the 3rd game. I figured I cannot play anything worse than my last 9.

Started badly again with a series of bogies. The only consolation was parring the last 2 holes on the first 9 to score +7. My closest competitor scored +4 and I lost another 3 strokes of lead, which was down to one (210 vs 211).

As the day got on, I was feeling damn tired. I constantly remembered to keep myself hydrated so that I don't end up a victim of heat exhaustion.

My swing also started to deteriorate as I was getting tired. I lost confidence in my driving as I had to use my old driver as my current one is non-conforming. My only consolation was my putting.

I started my last 9 holding on to a precarious 1 shot lead. When your long game deserted you, your short game became handy. Chipping and putting was my saviour of the day.

I held a 2-shot overall lead going into the last hole which I bogeyed and my opponent parred. He shot 4 over on the 2nd 9 and I matched him with a 4 over. I won the SCC Championship for B Division by a single stroke! Phew! I now realised how some of the PGA golfers felt when they are in the lead and being chased by Tiger Woods.

My gross score was 250 (81, 86, 83), my chaser was at 251 (88, 83, 80). The winner of the overall championship was from A Div at 249. Yeah, I could have won the overall championship if not for the screw-up at hole 12.

For my effort, I won 3 trophies. Overall Men's Division B Gross Champion, Day 1 Best Gross and Day 3 2nd Nett score.

No comments: