Saturday, October 11, 2008

Overhauling the swing

I am embarking on something of a gamble, something crazy.... I am going to overhaul my swing.

Took up a lesson with Gary Edwin and Peter Senior Golf Academy at OCC and today was the first lesson. They charged $120 per hour (one to one)and if I would like to continue, the $120 can be offsetted against the package price.

Spend 1 hour with Paul Tudor, who asked me to hit a few shots with my 7 iron and videotaped me. The next 30 minutes was spend in the aircon room, analysing on the the computer and working in front of mirrors.

Running my video next to PGA pros such as Rod Pampling, the difference was very obvious. I was swaying my body too much, to the right during the backswing and to the left on the downswing. Now this was exactly what I learned from my first coach, David Jest at Green Fairway, ie. weight transfer.

I am not sure if it was a compliment or not, Paul said I swing like Jack Nicklaus :). OUTDATED!!! OLD SCHOOL OF THOUGHT!!!. He said that this swing has to rely on perfect timing to execute correctly.

What the academy teaches is "The Right Handed Swing". A teaching by Gary Edwin and Peter Senior and is adopted by a lot of Aussie pros such as Peter Lonard and Rod Pampling.

So the next few minutes was spend in front of the mirror trying to emulate the setup
(reverse K), which was totally different from my usual setup. The fundamental difference is to fixed your left side and swing with the right. They say this is a more efficient swing without the swaying.

After working on the mirror and the impact bag, it was back to the range. After hitting a few balls with the new swing, he taped me again. And this time, back to the computer, hey presto, against Pampling, the swing was quite similar. But of course, the result is not.

I am still working on the setup and will see how I progress. I think its pointless to go back every week. My intention is to work on what I have learned and to go back every 2 weeks to work with Paul again.

Of course, in the mean time, I will avoid the buayas who might be taking advantage of my...er...work-in-progress. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, with your kind of performance week in week out, you still not happy. Aiming to play scratch?

You went through many weeks of hilarious moment of success. I went through weeks of frustration to find out what actually went wrong with my play. I'm contemplating to overhaul my entire approach to golf. After reading what you had done, you give me encouragement to make that decision.

I'm going to 'pi kuan' for a couple of weeks maybe months until I succeed to relearn the finer points of the golf game. With the savings on the Sat game, I will engage a Pro to help me achieve my goal. I'm going to miss you all guys but this painful decision will give me a new challenge in life.

I wish you every success.

Anonymous said...

CYM, thanks for the encouragement. And likewise I wish you all the best in to journey to seek improvement.

I was thinking to myself, whatever equipment i change to, I am also playing to about the same level, so it must be the swing not the tools. So by investing and hopefully improving my swing, I can improve my game.

Just look at Tiger, he is the best in the world and yet, he as gone thru so many swing changes, just to become better than what he already is.

So we mere mortal can surely improve.

But there is another side of the proverbial coin. Ian Baker Finch won the British Open and after that went thru a swing change. Now he is a tv commentator.