Friday, May 1, 2009

Relief from Red Ants


Today on Navy 9th, after my tee shot, I found my ball in the position as shown in the picture above. I thought to myself, damn, there goes my par.

As I moved closer, I saw the trees and the rope were infested with an army of red ants, then I recalled the LPGA game where Michelle Wie was given a free drop because of a couple of bees with no beehive.

I quote a news article :

"Wie exhibited a grown-up game and a strong knowledge of the Rules of Golf. She said she first heard of golfers getting relief from certain insects while she was watching a PGA Tour event on television.

"One player, he was in the bush and he had all of these fire ants, and he got relief," Wie said. "So I remembered that and I asked the rules official. "


Here is Rules 1-4/10: Dangerous Situation; Rattlesnake or Bees Interfere with Play

Q. A player’s ball comes to rest in a situation dangerous to the player, e.g., near a live rattlesnake or a bees’ nest. Does the player have any options in addition to playing the ball as it lies or, if applicable, proceeding under Rule 26 or 28?

A. Yes. It is unreasonable to expect the player to play from such a dangerous situation and unfair to require the player to incur a penalty under Rule 26 (Water Hazards) or Rule 28 (Ball Unplayable).
In equity (Rule 1-4), as an additional option the player should be permitted, without penalty, to drop a ball on the nearest spot not nearer the hole which is not dangerous.

I could have chipped it out, but red ants will be all over me. Vincent Loh refused to give it to me. Robert after inspecting the situation, agreed.

I took relief, then changed to a fairway wood, because the situation is different now. I parred the hole.

Vincent, the photographer, was a little "buay song", he even named this picture "kelong.jpg".

Well, knowing the rules and playing by the rules is part and parcel of the game, and winning bets!

No comments: