Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Shoulder injuries in golf

I have not been golfing at NSRCC for 2 weeks now due to my right shoulder injury. The orthopadic diagnosed it as "anterior capsular strain", whatever that means. I have been undergoing physiotherapy at Mt Alvernia Hospital twice a week.

This injury was caused by the lack of warming up exercise prior to using the driver. I was at the range sometime back when my friend offered me his driver to try and I started hitting without warming up. It hurt when I reach the top of my backswing, exchanging high-fives is painful too if the other party push my hand back too much. I also cannot raise my hand vertically upwards and also trying to scratch my back is a big problem.

Actually the injury does not affect my golf too much as it forces me to shorten my backswing, which is a good thing. However, I do not want it to become a chronic problem.

After 4 sessions with my physio comprising heat treatment, massage and electrical therapy, I can already see marked improvement in the use of my arm. I have already started hitting on the range, mostly with wedges and irons.

So guys, do warm up before your tee-off. Don't time yourself to arrive just 5 mins before your tee-off. Come early if possible, go to the range and hit 50 balls first.

Stay healthy, play better golf!!!

Note : Ernie requested a picture of my physio.

5 comments:

Ernie Els said...

can take some photos of your physio??

Speedy recovery.

pitchmark said...

Dear Ernie, thank you for your well wishes. I am on my road to recovery. Hope to have a game with you soon.

pitchmark said...

and since you requested, I have spoken to my physio and she has agreed to have her photo appear on our blog. I just uploaded it.

See you, Ernie.

Lone Ranger said...

I will register to have treatment at once when I drop in later on my way to Sembawang today.
She can employ any of her recommended therapies on me.

Ernie Els said...

Not my cup of tea, prefers china Tui-Na. (PDMM)