Sunday, August 23, 2009

Peter's Hole-in-1 at Army Hole 3


NSRCC 22 August 2009, it was a beautiful sunny morning after a heavy downpour the previous day. It’s just the type of weather for golf not forgetting sun-bathing at the beach. Bobby, Peter, Chi Keen and I were playing Navy/Army course at 0757hrs

After 9 holes it was a frustrating, @#$%^&*+ and wtf kind of 50+ score for all 4 of all. On second thought it was better off lying on the beach watching the birds and bees. But sadly had to continue, Army 1st and 2nd hole had nothing to talk or boast about.

We arrived at Army 3rd hole. It was playing about 130m, red pin positioned in front of the sand bunker. I played first with a 7-iron, it soared through the sky but decided to turn right on to the fairway, well not too bad. Next was Chi Keen, his shot pulled left into the big sandy hole. I don’t know why he always prefer that to the smaller one.

When Peter was addressing with his hybrid 5 iron, I was walking towards the buggy already lost interest in the result – sixes over (sighed). I heard the sound of a well taken shot, one of those that sound good but seldom accurate. I was wrong this time when I heard Bobby shouting hole-in-1. Chi Keen wasn’t sure but Bobby seems quite sure about it. I also quite sceptical – you know this Bobby sometime a bit cockeye. Giving him the benefit of doubt we all started to high 5. Peter on the surface seems quite cool about it, no screaming or jumping about. But I can see him very excited, frantically messaging with his mobile, I prayed Bobby is right, you know very ‘luck shay’ if ball did not go in.

This time round Bobby was 100% correct. It was a Srixon AD333 matured ball (as described by Peter) that went in. Alamak, what is matured ball, ha? I guess he meant old, about to be given to Robert.

I did not see the ball went in (well, 6 years ago I also missed it), so I asked Bobby to describe it to me. This is his version.

“Peter hit a beautiful shot; it sailed slightly to the left of pin but faded right and landed on the fringe of the green. It took a right roll towards the pin, hit the pin but stay out. 2 seconds later it disappeared into the hole.”

This is the dream of every golfer. The probability of hitting the ball into the pin in one stroke for a Par 3 is 1:12,500 for an amateur golfer (according to a study done for an insurance company).

Well done, Peter, you did us proud!!! I’ve done my part as Dick said it’s the passing of the ‘qi’. Well it took more than 6 years since 6 July 2003 when I got mine at Army 7th hole. Most recently NSRCC removed all those hole-in-1 before year 2004 from the honour board, mine included. Now we have Peter whose name will be inscribed on the Hole-in-1 honour board. Let’s aim for more all goofy members but make sure you play with Peter or me for the ‘qi’ (hope I did not use up all of it).

Big celebration on the card. We all await Peter’s invitation.

2 comments:

Lone Ranger said...

CYM your blogging always very interesting. Even got Booooby's version of the Hin1! Just like a shot from the Golf Channel commentator's box.
When I received Peter's sms while I was doing some housework, I was happy and excited for him and almost pee-ed in my shorts!!
I can imagine you all must be so happy happy and so excited after the game, smiling like the Gila Gila magazine all the way to the poolside cafe! Make a lot of noise a lot of high5s and beers???
Anyway always nice that one of the Goofy group member done well! Congrats again BC!

pitchmark said...

Congrats Peter!!! Like what YE Yang said, "If this is the last one, so be it!!"

Like Phil, I got your sms at about that time and I can imagine the euphoria!!

Looking forward to the seeing your name up on the board and also to the party man..