Saturday, January 22, 2011

Chipping on the green and the Lucky Lee

I was playing with Berteo, Billy Bomber and Lee (Lucky) Heng today.

After teeing off on the Navy 4 hole, I was about 160 m from the green. I decided to hit my hybrid and manage to hit the green. The ball rolled towards the back on the right side. The pin was on the far back left.

Since this is the drink hole, I was hopping that the ball had rolled off the green.

When Lucky Lee reached the green, he was laughing at me. I finally saw why.

The ball was on the green and I had no putt to the hole.

As you know, the green is kidney shaped and even if I wanted to putt off the green, there is a bunker in the way.

I only had one option, to chip. I remember seeing Phil Mickelson did it on tv and it is perfectly legal. I decided to chip with my 60 deg wedge. I was trying to be careful not to take too big a divot. My chip came out quite nicely but failed to clear the bunker edge, but it went over.

I chipped on with my next chip and putted in for a bogey.

I did some research on the internet and confirmed that it is perfectly legal. You can use any club on the green, although the green keeper will not like you too much.

Now the next question is : Was that chip considered as my first putt?? I bought drinks anyway.

Lucky Lee was really Lucky. Twice he hit the trees and both time the bounce was kind to him. On Army 5, he pulled his shot left, the ball ended up dry. On Army 8, he pulled his shot left again, it hit one of the palm tree and richochet to the middle of the fairway. He put his next shot on the green and 2-putted for par.

And to cap it off, he is suffering from a gout attack and yet won the money from the 3 of us.

Can't even beat a Pai-Kar!!!

1 comment:

Ernie Els said...

based on my understanding of Goofy drink hole rule: the further distance away from the hole after the first hit (using any club) after your ball came to rest within the green for the first time.

hope my understanding is correct.